Map & Compass Navigation Courses
February 11 @ 8:30 am - March 10 @ 4:30 pm$52.00
If your phone dies, would you know how to navigate through the mountains? Do you know how to use a map and compass? Ae you confident in your skills to safely get out of the mountains if something were to turn you around? Mountain Navigation is not only fun to learn but it is also vital for any of your backcountry adventures!
This one-day Wilderness Navigation course provides an essential introduction to using and understanding topographic maps and compasses. The skills learned on this course will improve trip planning processes, provide a basis for use & navigation by GPS, and provide fundamental knowledge for those exploring new terrain or areas with poor visibility.
- Interpreting features on topographic maps
- Compass use and features
- Scale, grid reference and UTM
- Relating features on a map to features on the ground
- Taking bearings in the field and on the map
- Re-sectioning to determine location
- Travelling on bearings through terrain
- Learn about pacing
- 1-Day of instruction with an ACMG-certified guide
- Use of compass
- Student work book
- Transport to and from the meeting point
- Personal equipment (including snowshoes if there is snow on the ground at the time of your course)
THE IMPORTANT DETAILS:
Duration: 1 Day (8:30am – 4:30pm) morning on a class room setting & afternoon outside (within city limits)
Location: Prince George – indoor/morning location TBD
Max Ratio: 6 Clients to 1 Guide
Minimum Age: 16 yrs
Adventure Club members receive $10 off this course. When you send through transfer for course please deduct $10 off total amount.
Part 1: Map and Compass
- Getting familiar with your compass
- Reading topographic maps
- Making a route plan
Part 2: Navigation
- Taking and following bearings on the map and in the field
- Navigating with a map and compass in good and poor visibility/off trail
Part 3: Trip Planning and Decision Making
- Route Planning
- Contingency planning
- Building and following a whiteout navigation plan
We may cover additional topics as time permits.
Refund policy – Course fee minus $15 processing fee is refundable up until three weeks out from course date. After the three weeks out date the course is non refundable however a credit can be issued for %50 of course amount to be used towards a future event. Course fee is not refunded if date is changed due to weather. Your course fee/registration will be transferred to new date if course is reschedule. If you cannot make new date, a credit for full amount will be issued.